Saving water at home does not require you to make heavy expenses. With simple methods, you can save a lot of water at home and lower your water bills.
Below mentioned tips can be really helpful for you to conserve water in the home:
- Check for leaks: Even a small drip from a leaked faucet or pipe can waste around 20 gallons of water every day. Therefore, make sure to check the condition of your pipes and faucets to prevent any kind of leakage. Further, insulating the water pipes can help you to get the hot water faster and avoid the water wastage.
- Install water meters: Installing water meter will not only help you to control the usage of water, but also help you to detect any hidden water leaks. In order to check the leakage, record the readings of the water meter before and after 2-3 hour period when no water is being used. If the reading does not read exactly the same, there is a probability of a leakage.
- Install low-flow faucets and shower heads: Long and hot showers can use up to 10 gallons of water. Installing low-flow faucets and shower heads can save a lot of water. These days, a number of water-saving showerheads are available in the market that can be added to existing showerheads. These water-saving showerheads automatically stop a running shower once it gets warm.
- Install adjustable toilet flapper in toilet tank: A toilet flapper helps to adjust the flush rate to the minimum flush setting. You can also buy a float booster to save more than 10 gallons of water per day.
- Avoid unnecessary water running: By avoid the unnecessary running of water when brushing your teeth, shaving, hand washing dishes, personal washing, etc can save gallons of water.
- Full load wash: When using a dishwasher or washing machine, make sure that the machines are fully loaded for optimum water conservation. Further, using Energy Star rated dishwasher and washing machine can help you to save a lot of water as they use 30-50% less water and 50% less energy per load.
There are some water supply companies in the UK that provides various useful tips to conserve water at home. Northumbrian Water is one such well-known water company in the UK that provides mains water and sewerage services in various regions of Northumberland. It supplies water and sewerage services to around 2 million people in North East England. You can use the Northumbrian Water contact number to discuss about their services including their products, changing account details, understanding water bills, reporting a water leakage, installing water meters, saving water and reducing costs and for general help and support.